Being a teenager can be an exciting time of physical and emotional changes, new challenges and expanding social circles. But what if it’s not? Many teens are dealing with anxiety, depression, fatigue, eating disorders, low self-esteem, sleep problems and more.
Add to that the multiple disappointments that have come along with the Covid-19 pandemic, loss of sports, extracurricular activities and opportunities to socialize. Overabundant screentime has already been documented as a negative factor in teen health, and since Spring of 2020 teens have been forced to turn to screens for almost all of their education and socializing.
What can a Naturopathic Doctor do to help? The most important thing we can do is listen. Having one more safe, caring and non-judgemental adult in their lives can make a huge positive impact.
Naturopathic Doctors also:
– identify and correct nutrient deficiencies such as low vitamins, low iron and zinc, and lack of omega 3 fatty acids which can contribute to poor mental health.
– prescribe herbal tinctures that calm the nervous system, support the body and mind through stress, and balance serotonin levels.
– address lifestyle factors such as lack of exercise, too much screentime, irregular bedtimes, and poor nutrition that make it harder to cope with life’s demands.
– help to identify healthy coping mechanisms that appeal to each individual such as creating a healthy social circle, setting boundaries, mindfulness practice, time outdoors and regular movement or exercise.
– use acupuncture to treat a variety of health concerns
If you’re curious about how an ND can help, give us a call and set up a free 10 minute consultation. We’re looking forward to hearing from you!